16 Sep Thai Chicken
Thai chicken meatballs. A delicious, perfect family meal that’s so adaptable, add more or less of any of the flavours, or you can leave something out altogether if you prefer. I serve them with rice and green veggies or a Thai salad.
• 1 kg chicken mince
• ½ cup finely chopped fresh coriander
• 3 cloves garlic, grated
• 3 red chillies, finely chopped
• 1½ tbsp toasted sesame oil
• 6 spring onions, finely chopped
• 2 tsp grated ginger
• 1 tbsp coconut oil (if browning)
For the sauce
• ½ cup sweet chilli sauce
• 2 tbsp soy sauce
• Juice of 1 lime
1. Pre heat the oven to 180C.
2. Put all the meatball ingredients apart from the coconut oil into a large bowl. Mix well, hands work best for this.
3. Form into meatballs; make between 15 and 20.
4. You can either bake for about 35 minutes or till cooked through OR Heat the coconut oil in a large non stick pan. Brown the chicken balls all over. Be gentle with them as they’re a little fragile when raw.
5. When they’re browned all over, transfer to the oven to cook through. Depending on the size of the meatballs this takes about 25 minutes. Check they’re cooked through before serving.
6. Five minutes before the meatballs are ready, put the sauce ingredients in the same pan and cook for five minutes over low heat just to combine and thicken the sauce a little.
7. When they’re ready, add the meatballs to the sauce, mix through and serve with rice and veggies.